| The Official Web Site of The City of Lake Helen, Florida - Public Information City Guide
|Lake Helen Public Information City Guide|
Known as "The Gem of Florida", Lake Helen was founded by Henry Deland and named after his daughter. Intended as one of the prettiest and most pleasant towns in Florida, the residents are proud of the well preserved Victorian architecture and small-town atmosphere. Incorporated as the Town of Lake Helen on October 24, 1888. Population @ 2850, Land Area: @ 4+ square miles, Paved Roads: 20 miles, Unpaved Roads: 4 miles, Recreational Facilities: Blake Park, Royal Park, Lake Macy Park, Melissa Park, Mitchell Sports Complex, Trailhead/Equestrian Center, Asa Gray Park.
Lake Helen Police Department & Fire Protection
All Emergencies: 911
Lake Helen Police
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (386) 228-3360
Police Chief: Mike Walker - (386) 228-2145
Lake Helen Police Department after hours (non-emergencies): (386) 736-5999 (Volusia County Sheriff´s Department)
The Lake Helen Police Department is dispatched through the Volusia County Sheriffs Department
We have officers on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Lake Helen Fire Department
Fire Protection: Volusia County Fire Services / EVAC Ambulance (non-emergencies): (386) 252-4911
Volusia County Fire Services, Lake Helen - non-emergency local number: (386) 736-5940
Important Phone Numbers
Animal Control: (386) 228-2145 Officer Patrick Clarino P.D. (386) 215-5473 (LHPD)
City Hall: (386) 228-2121 Hours: Monday Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Closed Saturday and Sunday
Code Enforcement: (386) 228-2145 Officer Patrick Clarino P.D. (386) 215-5473 (LHPD)
Electric Service: Progress Energy Florida (800) 700-8744
Fire Department: Non-Emergency (386) 736-5940
Police Department: (386) 228-2145
Post Office: Corner of Lakeview Ave. & Michigan Ave. (386) 228-2227
Propane Gas Service: Florida Public Utilities
Public Library: 221 N. Euclid Ave. (386) 228-1152
Public Works & Utilities: (386) 228-0963 Richard Mullen, Public Works Superintendent
Telephone Service: Sprint (800) 339-1811
TV Cable Service: BrightHouse (386) 775-7300
Waste Pro of Florida: Tue & Fri - Trash, Wed - Recycle & Yard Waste (800) 640-6875
Water Provider: City of Lake Helen: (386) 228-2121
Meters will be read by the 15th day of March, June, September and December. During those months, from the 13th-17th we are asking residents to make sure:
1. Family pets are restrained so that City employee can access the meter.
2. Meters are easily accessible and are not covered by any item.
3. Grass and/or shrubbery are trimmed around meters.
Water bills are rendered thereon and mailed out the first of April, July, October and January, or the first working day thereafter. Full payment is due upon receipt of the bill. Such billing shall become delinquent if not paid within twenty (20) days of the billing date and subject to penalty. Non-payment after thirty (30) days of the billing date, shall result in the water being shut off and shall not be reconnected until all delinquent penalties have been fully paid.
When leaving a residence, it shall be the owners/tenants responsibility to notify City Hall with a final read date and forwarding address for the final water bill and service deposit refund, if applicable.
Posting of House Numbers
The local fire department has expressed a concern about not being able to identify homes by their address in case of an emergency. All buildings shall have its assigned building number properly displayed whether or not mail is delivered to such building or property. It shall be the duty of the owners and occupants of each building to post the assigned building number on the property in the following manner:
- The building (address) number shall be affixed to the front of the building or to a separate structure in front of the building (such as a mailbox, post, wall, fence, etc.) in such a manner so as to be clearly visible and legible from the public or private way on which the building fronts.
- Numerals shall be Arabic and shall not be less than three (3) inches in height and one-half inch in width.
- The numerals shall be of a contrasting color with the immediate background of the building or structure on which such numerals are affixed.
City Hall will also be closed in observance of the following holidays:
- New Years Day - January 1st
- Martin Luther King Day-January 19th
- Memorial Day May 25th
- Fourth Of July July 3rd
- Labor Day September 7th
- Thanksgiving Day November 26th
- The Day After Thanksgiving November 27th
- Christmas Eve Day December 24th
- Christmas Day December 25th
- Day after Christmas - December 28th
of Lake Helen
Ph: (386) 228-2121
P.O. Box 39
Lake Helen, FL 32744